SDEC usage has rocketed!

Published: 3rd August 2022
We've crunched the numbers to reveal the impressive impact and growth of SDEC lines available via Consultant Connect in the last 12 months.

One of the key elements of the National same day emergency care (SDEC) Strategy launched in May 2021, is to ensure access to SDEC is integrated system wide. This includes making SDEC available across all parts of the healthcare system (e.g. 111, 999, Primary Care and mental health) so that patients are navigated to the right service first time.

We recently wrote about some of the benefits of moving SDEC access to Consultant Connect, which include giving areas full transparency of SDEC activity and enabling them to audit and monitor referral activity demand and outcomes.

In Numbers

Today we crunch the numbers* to reveal the impressive impact and growth of SDEC lines available via Consultant Connect in the last 12 months:

The number of NHS areas enabling access to SDEC pathways via Consultant Connect increased from 3 to 20.

Monthly call volumes have tripled – 431 calls were placed in June 2021 compared to 1256 in June 2022.

Over 47% of calls with reported outcomes resulted in the patient avoiding A&E.

Project examples

Below are three examples of NHS areas using Consultant Connect as a single point of access for their SDEC pathways:

Area 1

Since 2019, GPs and primary care clinicians have access to SDEC lines, answered by ANPs and Senior Registrars at the local trusts. With an average of 300 calls each month, those with reported outcomes show:

  • 30% of calls result in the patient avoiding A&E, with the remaining 70% being admitted or referred to the right place, first time.
Area 2

Since December 2021, GPs, primary care clinicians, clinicians working in 111 Integrated Urgent Care (IUC), and 999 paramedics have access to SDEC lines via Consultant Connect. With an average of 270 calls each month, those with reported outcomes show:

  • 84% of calls result in the patient avoiding A&E, with the remaining 16% being admitted or referred to the right place, first time.
Area 3

Since December 2021, primary care clinicians in this area have had access to the SDEC lines answered by ACPs via Consultant Connect. In May 2022, the area extended access to SDEC lines to local ambulance clinicians. With an average of 180 calls per month, those with reported outcomes show:

  • 55% of calls result in the patient avoiding A&E, with the remaining 45% being admitted or referred to the right place, first time.

*Data relates only to calls where an outcome was reported.

Contact us

If your NHS area has SDEC pathways in place and would like to find out more about moving these to Consultant Connect, email hello@consultantconnect.org.uk or call us on 01865 261 467.

Related materials

Contact us

For more information about how we work with commissioners, hospitals & mental health trusts to improve patient care, please get in touch.

Join a webinar

Listen to health experts from the comfort of your desk as we bring the experts to you in our series of online webinars.

Join our mailing list

Join our mailing list and we'll keep you informed of our latest blogs, project news, and upcoming webinar dates and topics.

0
0