Patient Initiated Follow Up (PIFU)
A follow-up service that enables patients to initiate an IG secure virtual consultation with a specialist clinician. All data and call recordings are available via the Consultant Connect platform.
How it works
- All calls are recorded and tracked
- Clinicians can access call recordings and PID
- Commissioners and administrators can access reports, including the outcome of calls, with all PID stripped out
- For patient photo advice – we currently sit alongside existing NHS email approaches, where patients send their photos in, and these photos are imported into the Consultant Connect system
- Instant reassurance, avoidance of stress or worry
- Avoidance of costs (childcare, missing work) and disruption through unnecessary hospital visits and long waits
- Right care, faster
South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust’s (SWFT) Frailty Service have been leading an array of activities to aid patient referrals. In this article we uncover the key activities across the trust which ultimately work towards keeping patients out of hospital, especially as we head towards winter.
Area Case Study | Using PIFU for LTC patients in Bedfordshire, Luton, and Milton Keynes CCG
MS and Epilepsy Patient Initiated Follow Up (PIFU) services are reducing unnecessary visits to hospital and improving patient waiting times at Bedfordshire Hospitals.
“As an operational lead I am able to identify number of calls coming in, the outcomes that come in, which is excellent in terms of at the end of the day auditing and finding out what were the results of those calls, and I think I couldn’t get anything better.” Hüseyin Hüseyin, Neurology Operational Lead
Webinar recording available
Expert speakers share how they have put Patient Initiated Follow Up (PIFU) into practice at their Trusts during this pre-recorded webinar.