Manage Local Demand using the National Consultant Network (NCN)
Advice & Guidance:
Supporting Local Services
One of the biggest challenges for hospitals delivering an Advice & Guidance service is staffing it – particularly during peak times. The good news is that there’s now a way you can “switch on / switch off” additional NHS consultant resources. The service is extremely flexible and is being used very effectively across the U.K.
74% of calls to the NCN have avoided an unnecessary admission or referral.
The NCN for Elective Care operates
The below specialties operate Mon-Sun, 8am-10pm
The NCN for Elective Care comprises NHS consultants who are able to answer calls or written requests for advice. These consultants are able to:
- Support your local consultants, acting as a back up when they can’t respond to requests; and/or
- Provide specialties that are not available locally, e.g. neurology, dermatology etc; or
- Answer all Phone Advice & Guidance calls from GPs – leaving local consultants free to help the patients they need to see.
- Cardiology (and ECG/Echo image analysis)
- COVID-19 Line
- Dermatology (and image review)
- Diabetes and Endocrinology (and podiatry image review)
- Elderly Care
- E.N.T (and image review)
- General Medicine
- Haematology (and image review)
- Ophthalmology (and image review)
- Renal Medicine
- Respiratory Medicine
- Stroke Medicine (messaging only)
- Trauma & Orthopaedics (and image review)
The NCN for Mental Health operates
The NCN for Mental Health comprises fully trained and accredited NHS Psychiatrists, Pharmacists and Nurse Prescribers that will answer medication/prescribing Advice & Guidance calls.
Medication advice lines:
Our medication advice lines cover all age groups and support with:
- Medication reviews
- Potential interactions between drugs and side effects
- Supporting primary care prescribing
- Confirming NICE guidance
Referral Backlog Triage for the NHS:
Prioritise Waiting Lists
Recent example: 3,450 referral triages completed within 3 weeks
It’s the same network of consultants we launched over 2 years ago, which currently supports more than 50 NHS trusts with their capacity to deliver Advice & Guidance.