Sion Breese is a Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust Paramedic and Development Clinical Team Leader, in the Powys Teaching Health Board locality. Five months after the Consultant Connect App was made available to the Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Sion shares his experience of using the service.
1. What would you say are the key benefits you’ve gained since using the Consultant Connect App?
“All of my contacts for patient pathways along with receiving hospitals and specialist centres are located in one place at the touch of a button.
The connection rate to the contact is extremely fast.”
2. Have you found it easy to use?
“Yes, really easy to use.
I have encouraged many colleagues to download and utilise the tool.”
3. Do you have feedback about communications received regarding the service? What do you think of the Consultant Connect App?
“Communication and information I received from Consultant Connect about the service has been good.
I get regular updates when new lines are added to the app.”
4. How has it helped with your response to COVID-19? What changes have you needed to make?
“It provides easier access for us to communicate with receiving hospitals / treatment centres.
This has been really helpful as the procedures have regularly changed throughout different stages of the pandemic.”
5. Can you provide a recent example of when you used the app to benefit a patient?
“The app allows me to speak direct with specific areas of need.
A recent example was the need to contact the Palliative care team for some advice in managing an End of Life patient. I was able to speak very quickly to the Palliative Care specialist and discuss a treatment plan to allow the patient to remain comfortable at home with their family around them.”