Dr Goyal makes the most of the Telephone Advice & Guidance service, as it allows her “to speak to specialists quickly”. She appreciates that “a dedicated consultant is at the end of the phone” and “that the waiting time (to receive a specialist opinion) is reduced, and you (GPs) have specialist knowledge to share with the patient”.
Dr Goyal, a GP in Birmingham, saw a patient who “had a lump in their neck and was worried about cancer”. To help manage the patient’s worries about the risk of cancer, Dr Goyal used Telephone Advice & Guidance, via Consultant Connect, to speak directly with a local Endocrinology consultant.
The consultant helped Dr Goyal manage the risk of cancer because she was able to explain to the patient “that there are investigations they could do, to get more information”.
How the service helped the patient
- Appreciated the real-time specialist opinion
- Felt reassured due to the consultant’s knowledge
- Left the appointment with further investigations in place
How the service helped the GP
Dr Goyal was able to “get more information” from the Endocrinology consultant, which was reassuring for her.
- Appreciated the “extra level of input”
- Was able to efficiently utilise the patient’s appointment, to start further investigations