NHS trusts with local consultant capacity challenges are benefiting from extra temporary virtual NHS consultants who can clinically triage and validate waiting lists. The NHS consultants are brought in on a short or long-term ‘virtual locum’ basis.
How does it work?
Under the leadership of a local clinical lead, the clinical triage and validation activity is carried out by NHS consultants from outside of a local hospital. The activity is delivered as a service, with no disruption to local workflows and using local systems.
How much does it cost?
Costs involved are per case and charged ‘pay as you go’ or ‘on demand’, meaning as local clinical capacities change, NHS areas can switch on/switch off the service with 72 hours’ notice.
What’s the impact, and what are the benefits?
Assessing clinical risks on waiting lists results in accurate and validated waiting lists and enables patients to access the most appropriate care. On average, 30-45% of referrals are returned to the referring clinician or redirected to a more appropriate pathway (pathway availability dependent). The service:
Initiates diagnostics where needed:
- >1,200 Cardiology referrals triaged in one trust resulted in 58% of cases where diagnostics were initiated and reviewedto be safely returned to Primary Care with thorough advice
- >4,000 Dermatology referrals triaged in one trust resulted in 47% of referrals receiving advice to commence treatment ahead of their appointment
Identifies important upgrades and downgrades:
- >4,000 Dermatology referrals triaged in one trust resulted in 2% of referrals upgraded to the 2WW pathway
- >1,300 Gynaecology referrals triaged in one trust resulted in 10% of cases upgraded to the urgent 2WW pathway
- >1,000 Neurology referrals triaged in one trust resulted in 7% of referrals upgraded to the 2WW pathway
Returns cases to Primary Care with management plans
- >450 Community Paediatrics referrals triaged in one trust resulted in 42% of cases being safely returned to the referring clinician with a comprehensive management plan
- >1,000 Neurology referrals triaged in one trust resulted in 27% of referrals returned to primary care with a detailed management plan and advice
If you have any questions or would like to find out how our Referral Triage and Validation service can support your NHS area, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01865 261 467.
- Clinical capacity ‘on demand’
- What we do: Referral Triage
- What we do: National Consultant Network
- What we do: Enhanced Advice & Guidance
- Dermatology triage manages clinical risk and captures upgraded patients to 2WW
- Reducing waiting lists efficiently
- Referral Triage and Validation | Impact and Benefits
Join us on Tuesday 26 September from 1-1:45pm to hear first-hand experiences from NHS consultants triaging and validating waiting lists across Dermatology, Neurology and Paediatrics via Consultant Connect. To attend the live webinar or to receive a copy of the webinar recording to watch on demand, please book your place.