Manage demand for Advice & Guidance using the National Consultant Network (NCN)
of calls to the NCN have avoided an unnecessary admission or referral.
The NCN for Elective Care operates
The NCN for Elective Care comprises NHS consultants who are able to answer calls or written requests for advice. These consultants are able to:
- Support your local consultants, acting as a back up when they can’t respond to requests; and/or
- Provide specialties that are not available locally, e.g. neurology, dermatology etc; or
- Answer all Phone Advice & Guidance calls from GPs – leaving local consultants free to help the patients they need to see.
- Cardiology (and ECG/Echo image analysis)
- Dermatology (and image review)
- Diabetes and Endocrinology (and podiatry image review)
- Elderly Care
- General Medicine
- Ophthalmology (and image review)
- Renal Medicine
- Respiratory Medicine
- Trauma & Orthopaedics (and image review)
The NCN for Mental Health operates
The NCN for Mental Health comprises fully trained and accredited NHS Psychiatrists, Pharmacists and Nurse Prescribers that will answer medication/prescribing Advice & Guidance calls.
Medication advice lines:
Our medication advice lines cover all age groups and support with:
- Medication reviews
- Potential interactions between drugs and side effects
- Supporting primary care prescribing
- Confirming NICE guidance