Urgent Connect Pilot Reduces Unplanned Admissions – Data

Published: 9th February 2017
In mid October we launched a pilot of Urgent Connect in the North of England. Urgent Connect is the urgent care application of Consultant Connect, making it easy for GPs to speak with urgent care hospital teams immediately. For this pilot, the system is being trialled with a single line through to a group of Acute Medicine […]

In mid October we launched a pilot of Urgent Connect in the North of England. Urgent Connect is the urgent care application of Consultant Connect, making it easy for GPs to speak with urgent care hospital teams immediately.

For this pilot, the system is being trialled with a single line through to a group of Acute Medicine clinicians. The clinicians include consultants, registrars and nurse practitioners. GPs who are thinking of admitting a patient to hospital are able to call Urgent Connect to discuss the patient with a clinician, who is able to advise on the patient’s treatment and recommend the best care for that patient.

This enables patients to be directed to the right place first time and also allows the GP and the clinician to consider whether an alternative to admission would be best for the patient. If an admission is necessary, the process is quicker for the patient.

The following is the data from the first 4 months of the pilot:

Call Information

  • Calls received: 639
  • Calls answered: 464 (answer rate 73%)
  • Average connection time: 38 seconds
  • Average conversation time: 4 minutes 15 seconds

Reported Outcomes

  • Patient admitted to Acute Medicine: 45%
  • Patient referred to ED or other specialty: 24%
  • Patient referred to outpatient or hot clinic: 9%
  • Admission avoided: 21%

This means that 21% of patients avoided an unplanned admission hospital visit. The remaining 79% of patients were sent to the right place first time and, if they were admitted, experienced a quicker admission process.

You can read about the results of 2 other Urgent Connect pilots here, both of which are now out of the pilot phase and contracted.

If you would like to discuss setting up an Urgent Care pilot in your area, please call us on 01865 261467 or email info@www.consultantconnect.org.uk.

Share this

Contact us

For more information about how we work with commissioners, hospitals & mental health trusts to improve patient care, please get in touch.

Join a webinar

Listen to health experts from the comfort of your desk as we bring the experts to you in our series of online webinars.

Join our mailing list

Join our mailing list and we'll keep you informed of our latest blogs, project news, and upcoming webinar dates and topics.

Find Us

Consultant Connect Ltd
One St Aldates, Oxford, OX1 1DE
Company registered in England & Wales.
Company number 09488206

Press Contact
hello@consultantconnect.org.uk
01865 261 467

Copyright © Consultant Connect Ltd | Site by Herd