As 2019 draws to a close, here are some of our highlights from the past year:
What our benchmarking data can tell you
We estimate that more than 26 million NHS pounds have been saved by areas using Consultant Connect over a 4 year period. We published our four-year “anniversary” report with all the data from day one. Our favourite highlights are:
- 66% of telephone advice calls to elective specialties result in the patient avoiding a trip to hospital
- 75% of telephone advice calls to Haematology result in the patient avoiding a trip to hospital
- 62% of telephone advice calls to Acute Medicine do not result in the patient needing an immediate admission
- 82% of photo messages sessions to Dermatology result in the patient avoiding a trip to hospital
- 28% of photos attached to e-RS 2WW referral result in the patient avoiding a trip to hospital
You can double the use of Advice & Guidance
In 2019 more and more areas have started using our ‘Enhanced Advice & Guidance’ approach to further reduce referrals. Enhanced Advice & Guidance is e-RS advice PLUS telephone advice and photo-message advice. Supported by out-of area NHS consultants who can make sure calls are answered and messages returned within a few hours. The 6 CCGs that make up the South East London STP reviewed their project’s performance and impact over the year to end June 2019 and reported on it to NHS England. Find out more and access the report.
We launched our National Consultant Network
One of the biggest challenges for hospitals delivering an Advice & Guidance service is staffing it. To help with this we launched our National Consultant Network (NCN), which consists of NHS consultants who are able to answer calls or written requests for advice. Many areas across the UK are already using the NCN – currently 74% of all calls to the NCN result in an admission or referral being avoided. Find out more.
We were in the press!
- Doncaster Gazette – Making best use of technology to are for more people at home
- HSJ Article – Harnessing teledermatology to improve cancer care in Leeds
- RCNI – Primary Health Care – How a nurse-led GP liaison service has helped to streamline the patient journey
- HSJ Article – The impact of networks in supporting primary care
- HSJ Article – Advice from emergency consultants one phone call away
- Raconteur – distributed by The Times – Skincare & Dermatology report
We hosted 6 webinars:
We brought the health experts to you in our series of free online webinars. Speakers shared their expertise and practical advice on:
- Mental Health Integration
- Making sure your A&G delivers the Long Term Plan
- RCP – Outpatients: The Future
- Worried about Winter? Practical alternatives to hospital attendances and admissions
- RCP – Outpatients: The Future, Case Studies
- Quick Fixes for Winter – easing winter pressures
We welcomed thousands of you to our webinars! And it’s not a surprise considering the speakers we had lined up, including:
Professor Stephen Powis, (National Medical Director at NHS England), Professor Sir Muir Gray (Director at the Oxford Centre for Triple Value Healthcare, Adviser to Public Health England), Andy Bell (Deputy CEO at the Centre for Mental Health), Janet Castrogiovanni (Head of Performance & Transformation at Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership), Sophie Sennett (General Manager, Contact Centre and Outpatients at Yeovil Hospital NHS Foundation Trust) and more.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss any of the above. Thanks, as ever, to all of our customers and users for their fantastic support – we look forward to working with you in 2020!